We ensure Bay Area youth have equitable access to the ocean through surf instruction.
We use surfing as a vehicle to improve the health and well being and engage youth with our three core beliefs.
Our Core Beliefs
All of our programs are founded on our four core pillars.
Appreciation for Nature
EQUITY IN SURFING
Job Description: Development Manager
City Surf Project is 501c3 Non-Profit that ensures equitable access to the coastline and improves the health and wellbeing of Bay Area youth, through surf instruction. We use surfing as a vehicle to teach our four pillars: respect for nature, healthy living, personal growth, and diversity and inclusion.
At City Surf Project we believe the power of surfing — and our four pillars — will positively transform the lives of youth. Although you do not need to be a “surfer” or have surfing experience to qualify for this role, we are looking from someone who believes in our mission as a way of furthering social and environmental justice for underrepresented youth.
Are you interested in joining a thriving organization in need of developmental support to sustain growth? If hired, you will become an important part of our team, joining two other operational staff, including our Operations Manager and Executive Director. We ask that you have flexibility in your role and are willing to take on an array of different tasks.
As the Development Manager you will work closely with the Executive Director and Operations Manager to help us secure our annual budget of $500K through: grant writing, private donor cultivation, corporate sponsors, and fundraising events. You will also be asked to take on various duties to support the operational needs of the organization.
We are looking for someone with nonprofit development experience who is interested in working with a young and growing organization. If you meet the qualifications below, we encourage you to apply.
- Help to ensure financial resiliency through increased, diversified revenue according to the strategic plan
- Grow Corporate Sponsorship and Individual Donor base
- Manage and grow foundation support
- Implement and maintain CRM to track donors and revenue (Salesforce)
- Event Management
Job Duties Include:
- Work with the Executive Director and Board Development Committee on creating and implementing a yearly Development Plan.
- Manage Development Plan including a breakdown of funding areas broken down by quarter.
- Oversee our grants initiative including: researching, applying (or contracting out), tracking grants that are in process, building relationships with foundation representatives, and working with the Operations and Program Manager to provide necessary reporting for the grants awarded.
- Work with Executive Director on creating “Moves Management” plan for donors
- Research, contact and cultivate prospective foundations.
- Assist in planning fundraising events including sponsorship and donor engagement.
- Create and maintain partnerships with mission related companies.
- Assist in the creation of a strategic plan with the board of directors.
- Collaborate with ED and Board of Directors to create impact reports.
- Work with Operations Manager to track and reply to all gifts/donations, including in-kind and monetary donations.
- Manage online donor platform (Classy) including creating campaigns, reports, communications, and Salesforce integrations.
- Create reports for ED and BOD including revenue and analysis of donor behavior trends.
- Maintain opportunities through Salesforce. Present to the board of directors on fundraising progress.
- Excellent computer skills: Proficiency using Google Docs, MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Salesforce and Wordpress.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a small office with limited clerical support.
- Ability to effectively work in a team oriented environment, while maintaining the ability to work independently in varied activities and projects.
- Ability to think strategically and effectively
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills including strong writing and listening; ability to communicate clearly.
- Strong -writing skills – grant writing, marketing
- Experience with budgeting and financial management
- Proficient in using Salesforce – light admin role, data entry and running reports
- Willingness to take on duties as assigned.
- Must pass a background check.
- A bachelor’s degree is preferred
- At least two years working in a development or other non-profit position.
- Demonstrated success in grant writing, researching and applying to foundations, and donor management.
- Experience managing fundraising events of various types and sizes.
Commitment: 40 hrs/ week
- — Work from home is allowed during Covid-19 health policies
- — While in the office, staff follow strict Covid safety guidelines
Pay: Compensation based on experience and competitive salaries.
Employee programs and perks:
- Health Benefits (75% employer paid)
- Generous PTO and Holiday Pay: 5 weeks
- Access to surfing equipment and “pro”discounts with partner brands
- Small group of staff (6 including you!) with the ability to have a significant impact in little time
- Everyone is encouraged to speak freely and be themselves
- Commitment to Diversity Equity and Inclusion, and creating an anti-oppressive work environment.
- Opportunity for advancement within the organization.
- Application deadline: extended to December 6th
- Flexible start date, no later than January 4th
Send resume and one-page cover letter to: Sarah Noyes at email@example.com.